Monday, July 7, 2014

The Mystery of the Boy without Hands

Yesterday the seminarians studying here at San Jose Language Academy and some high school volunteers from Marmion Abbey visited Santiago, Guatemala. We had to drive about an hour or so and then we took boats across the lake to arrive at Santiago. We visited the room where Fr. Stanley Rother was shot and killed. (Visit http://fatherstanleyrotherguild.org/ for more info) We also visited the place where his heart and blood are kept. It was a very powerful experience to pray for all of you. 










You might be asking yourself, wow that's really interesting, but the title of this blog is "The Mystery of the Boy without Hands." Did Fr. Stanley not have any hands? Fr. Stanley did have hands and in order to become an ordained minister in the Catholic Church you must have hands. That's where the story gets interesting.

As we traveled across the lake back to San Pedro we went to get some food for lunch. We stopped at a place where we could all fit and then started to order. Miguel, a seminarian from Richmond Diocese noticed a boy begging quietly for food as we began to order. Miguel asked our leader to ask the owner of the restaurant if we could buy him some food. The owner said that would be fine. Miguel is about as tall as I am so he kneeled down to this little boy and asked him if he would like some food. Miguel ordered him some food and the only place open at the table was next to me. 

I slowly asked the boy in spanish what his name was. He said he is name was Oscar. I found out that he was 10 years old,  his birthday is on the 21st of July, he goes to school in a town very close to where we were, he loves soccer, he has 7 siblings, and he was in horrible car crash when he was 5 that caused him to lose his hands. I kept encouraging him the best I could and his smile became bigger and bigger. Eventually, his food came and I had to open his water bottle for him and cut up his food. It was so interesting to see him open up. The Lord was very very present at this moment. Miguel and I were so blessed to  encounter this little boy. It was interesting "giving knucks" or "pounding fists" with this boy without hands. He had nubs about half way up his forearms. He was able to use a fork, hold his glass, and pick up french fries. I would refill his water as he continued to drink. H As we left Miguel paid for a few more meals for the boy for the next weekend because his home is a few towns over.




As our group finished eating and paying for our food I told him I would pray for him and I asked him to pray for me. He was so grateful. We had about a half mile walk to return to our bus to get back to Quetzaltenango and as we walked we would see Oscar periodically and I would give him knucks. He was so happy and joyful. Then as we waited for our tour bus to take us back home I saw him in a "chicken bus" (a school bus full of people) and he was waving to me without a hand, but with a HUGE SMILE. 

Then it struck me that he would never be able to become a priest. I looked at my own hands and I gave thanks to God for all of the priests in the world and for the vocation that I believe God is calling me to. God is so Good and this little boy named Oscar did not complain. I believe everything is providence, even when it's hard to accept. Oscar came into our lives and we were able to live the Gospel in a simple loving way.  He was so joyful to have food, to have some people love him, and treat him as a friend. 



Lastly, recently we celebrated the feast of St. Thomas the Apostle. The Gospel was about Thomas doubting the resurrection of Jesus. 

In the Gospel of John 20 verse 26-28 Thomas says, 
“Unless I see the mark of the nails in his hands
and put my finger into the nailmarks
and put my hand into his side, I will not believe.”
Now a week later his disciples were again inside
and Thomas was with them.
Jesus came, although the doors were locked,
and stood in their midst and said, “Peace be with you.”
Then he said to Thomas, “Put your finger here and see my hands,
and bring your hand and put it into my side,
and do not be unbelieving, but believe.”


How would someone like Oscar read this? How would he react to Christ saying put your finger here and your hand in my side when Oscar does  not  have fingers or hands. The depth of praying with the Gospels every day is very important. The depth of allowing Jesus to show you the Gospels is very life changing. 

During this experience I also thought about one of my favorite music artists Luke Spehar. He is one of the most talented musicians I know and he has a song called "my hands." I prayed for Luke and his gift of music.  If you have time I encourage you to listen to this song and support Luke.  https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/be-still/id415533741



I humbly ask that you pray for Oscar and then look at your hands and say thank you Lord for your own hands. God allowed a tragic situation to change my heart, Miguel's heart, and hopefully Oscar's. I truly believe Fr. Stan was interceding for us all as this life changing experience unfolded.  It seemed that Fr. Stanley wanted us to start serving the poor without holding back. 

Serve those without hands with your hands,
Hold their heart in your hands,
Let them hold your hands in their hearts.

God Bless You and Your hands,

Zach

No comments:

Post a Comment